Sunday, October 6, 2013

Talohhhhfa!

Hey family!
Talohfa is "hello" in Samoan, which I learned from my District Leader who is from American Samoa. And he is getting trasnferred! And my companion is going home! And so is another elder in my district! And I am staying in South BR for another transfer. I didn't get a phone call last night so that might mean that I am no longer a Sister Trainer Leader, but I think the Lord is going to leave me in this calling until I like it, so I guess I better change my attitude quick haha.

So yeah, it was a huge relief to find out that I'm staying. My companion is done with her mission, so if I'd have gotten transferred, that would've mean they would've "whitewashed" the area, and that requires a whoooooole lot of work to make sure the area is ready for two new people. But since I'm staying, I'm learning that keeping up with paper work and the administrative part of being a missionary every day is a TON easier than trying to catch up at the end of a transfer like I've been doing for the last week. Line upon line, right?

Highlights of the week include:
A missionary musical fireside on Sunday night that the Spanish Branch sisters put together. I played the piano for two ladies in our ward who sung a duet and I also played the piano for the missionary choir number/congregational closing song (Ye Elders of Israel!). I was super nervous, but it turned out ok, AND we had an investigator and her two friends show up to check out the "Mormon music night." HOORAY!!! And the fireside was pretty much just teaching the first lesson/discussion from preach my gospel through music, scripture, narration, and video clips. It was awesome, I know I felt the Spirit as we were watching a Bible clip about the Savior. I know that my Savior lives, I know that He loves me and He understands me perfectly as well as every single person I come in contact with. I think before the mission I knew OF Jesus Christ but at the fireside, I came to realize that I am coming to actually KNOW Jesus Christ as I am in His service and trying to do what He would do if He were here.

The other highlight of the week so far was the sacrament. I think as I've come to understand the sacrament better I've come to feel closer to Him too. I had no idea that our sins can literally be washed clean each week if we prepare for and partake of the sacrament worthily. There is so much power in that ordinance, and I will forever be thankful to an MTC teacher and President Wall for helping me truly understand the cleansing and healing power of the sacrament. Repentance is like bagging up the trash and putting it in the garbage can, and the sacrament is like when the garbage truck actually comes and takes all the trash away. Seriously, every Sunday is like the best day ever for me now because I love taking the sacrament. I love reading Alma 22:15 or D&C 45:3-5 because they help me feel the Spirit and understand what I'm doing or verbalize what I'm feeling as I eat the bread and drink the water.

I love this gospel and I'm so glad I'm here, serving my heart out, making lots of mistakes, having lots of awkward moments. Because really no mistake or awkaward moment is a bad thing if we repent, change, and move forward. I love being a missionary. It's the hardest thing, but it's also the most satisfying. Who knew that putting yourself second to service would actually make you happier than you ever were before? This gospel is true, Joseph Smith was a prophet, and there is Godly power in the pages of the Book of Mormon. I know it and I can't deny it.

I love you all and miss you tons!

-Sister Chausow

No comments:

Post a Comment