Monday, April 29, 2013

Monty Python, Letters from Home and Prayer!


Hello family!
Happy happy Monday to the people I love so much! Today I just wanted to tell you about all the little things that have been happening and that have made me so happy.

Quoting Monty Python - Me and Sister Olsen keep our spirits up by occasionally speaking in British accents and quoting Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Our favorite is one of us will say "What floats?" and the other will say "Sticks....apples....very small rocks.....churches..." and then the other person will say "A duck!" and then we laugh hysterically. Don't worry, we only do it when no one can hear us because we don't want anyone thinking that Mormons are daft. :)
24 Hours with Sister Jones - I got to go on exchanges this week with the Training Sister (essentially a female Zone Leader) and I freakin love her. It was like a breath of fresh air. I love Sister Olsen and we work really well together but it was nice to just change things up for a short time. We were strictly obedient, we had the Spirit, we smiled and laughed a lot, and we felt uplifted. And we taught one of the most powerful lessons I've taught yet. And while I was with her, I got some really good revelation for how we can help a recent convert come closer to Jesus Christ. It's amazing what one day can do for you!
Walking - We walk a LOT and I love it. It's good exercise, I'm starting to look like a golden brown marshmallow, and we get to talk to a lot of really great people. Last week we were walking to someone's house and we stopped and talked to this older man with lots of tattoos, a long beard, and looked and talked like Uncle Si from Duck Dynasty. Turns out he had hitchhiked across Nevada and he learned about Mormons there. We are going to go back sometime and help him clean up his yard. So great!
The Bus - I have a love/hate relationship with the bus. It is mostly convenient and air conditioned and I SHOULD be talking to people on the bus, but at the same time it is slow and only goes to certain places and I am a chicken and have a hard time opening my mouth to talk to college students on the bus. But seriously, without the bus it would be hard to function in this area, so I really am grateful for the ability to be able to get around without a car.
Mail - It's been so wonderful to get letters from you all. I love seeing your handwriting and reading your messages. On days when I don't get any mail, during lunch I read through old letters and I just love it. Letters help recharge my batteries - and Mondays are awesome because I get lots of emails that help my battery charge up to overflowing!
Prayer - Each person we teach is at a different level spiritually, but the one thing that we ask almost every person to do is pray. We met with C. yesterday, a returned missionary and the ward clerk. C. hasn't come to church for a while now, and he occasionally comes to activities, even though he is roommates with the Elders Quorum president. C.'s case scares me because it proves that even it you make temple covenants and serve a mission, there is no guarantee that you will stay safe in the gospel for the rest of your life. And we didn't have a ton of time to plan for C, and we took a returned missionary sister with us who likes to talk about her mission a lot a lot a lot (she got back three months ago). Plus, I didn't know what to say to C. that he doesn't know or hasn't heard before. So going in there was daunting is what I'm trying to say. But some how, I was able to ask questions that helped us figure out what his concerns are, and as we talked to him, my soul ached for him. I really really wanted him to be able to establish a relationship with his Heavenly Father again, and so I just asked him to talk to God, and find out if God is really there. And it was the simplest request but we could tell that it made C. stop and think about things. I don't know what will happen with C., but I know that God knows him and loves him and wants him to live with Him one day.
Okay, I love you all and hope that May will be magnificent for everyone! I pray for all of you daily and I'm so thankful that I have such a wonderful family supporting me.
Hugs!
-Sister Chausow

No comments:

Post a Comment